Stay warm without disasters
Winter is still around so we are all still dealing with lower temperatures. Many people use alternative heat sources like fireplaces, portable space heaters, and wood burning stoves to help keep homes warm. Did you know, heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths? According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment fires cause an estimated $1 billion in direct property damage annually. Keep the following safety tips in mind to help reduce your risk of a heating-related fires in your home during the colder weather.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or a portable space heater. Have a three foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heater
- Test smoke alarms monthly
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
If you need help cleaning up after a fire call SERVPRO of Highland Park/Deerfield 847-557-1080